8.04.2009

Writing Exercise: "So, what is it you do?"

I can't take credit for this one, but I found it on the Bendis Board and after participating in it myself, I felt extremely satisfied with the result.

Write a scene where one character asks "So, what is it you do?" within the first 5 lines.


FRANK stands in the corner of a living room during a dinner party. He rifles through the owner's book collection. TED saunters up to FRANK casually.

TED: Ted.

FRANK: I'm sorry?

TED: Ted. My name is Ted. Yours?

FRANK: Frank.

TED: So, what is it you do, Frank?

FRANK: Really?

TED: Pardon?

FRANK: I don't know you from atom, kid, and you think you can just walk up to me and ask what it is I do? Some fuckin' balls.

TED: I'm sorry, I'm new to the company.

FRANK: Really? Never woulda guessed. Let me ask you first. What is it you do, Ted?

TED: I'm not really sure yet, sir. They recruited me straight from Harvard. My thesis was on Transtemporal Displacement Theory. I can only guess it has something to do with that.

FRANK: Oh, fuck me. You're Theodore Hausman, aren't you.

TED: Uh, yeah.

FRANK: Shit.

TED: Is there a problem?

FRANK: You're my new partner, kid.

TED: Sorry?

FRANK: On Monday, the big boss is gonna come down to your little shit cubicle and send you to me. I'm Frank Trinkle.

TED: The Time Cop?

FRANK: Lesson #1: Don't ever fuckin' call me that.

TED: Sorry, sir. I had no idea they were putting me in the Enforcement Division. So, what is it we'll be doing?

FRANK: Huh?

TED: In the Enforcement Division? What is it we do exactly? No one's told me the specifics. Do we arrest people for manufacturing unlicensed time-jumpers, or do we just regulate time steam travel?

FRANK: Kid, you got no fuckin' idea what you're even talking about. There is no time travel.

TED: But...

FRANK: It doesn't exist, kid. You want to know what I do. Really?

TED: Uh...

FRANK: Anyone who tries to build a time-jumper, anyone who even thinks of how to make a goddamn flux capacitor work, I go and put a bullet in their teeth, kid.

TED: Why?

FRANK: 'Cause of Lesson #2: if anyone ever did time travel, even one second into the past or future, we'd all fuckin' die, kid. And I don't just mean West America, or Earth. The entire fuckin' universe as we know it would shatter into a million different pieces: past, present, and future. That's why.