7.13.2009

Writing Exercise: Odaiba Park Gundam

As a creative writer myself, I have come to learn, love, and understand the fun and importance of writing exercises. They're like games for your pencil...or word processor. I hope to make it a routine of mine to post either exercises I have come up with myself or ones I have found useful, as well as post my own writing that resulted from the prompt.

So, without further ado, here is one of my own:


Writing Exercise: A character arrives in Odaiba Park in Tokyo and sees, for the first time ever, the 60-foot tall Gundam statue. Write for 10 minutes a stream-of-consciousness piece about what your character experiences, from a first-person point of view.

My Result:
I knew I was to come to Tokyo. I could feel it in the wind that fateful day three weeks ago. I woke up, and suddenly the world was different. It was more than simply the darkness that appeared in everyone's eyes. It was more than the dark shadows that clung about the everyday people like capes. It was in the wind, calling to me. Telling me to start my journey. To head west, to where I would find my destiny.

The boat rides were long. I watched women and children nearly starve, because they did not prepare like I had. My prepared daily rations of Mountain Dew and beef jerky lasted me nearly to the end of my trip, but in the last week I discovered the success of victory. I caught my first ship rat; it was fat and pampered by the ship's cook. His large body was easy to see hiding in the corners of my cabin that night, and he surprisingly tasted good. Perhaps the salt sea air had seasoned him. Perhaps I will find more in my journey home.

But I must not think of the journey home. I must think of this gargantuan standing before me. I have arrived late, and so I am nearly alone with the behemoth. I had dreams, day after day, of what might await me in Tokyo. One morning I awoke with the word "Odaiba" on my lips, and from then I was infatuated with what I would face there.

I thought perhaps a sea creature, born of volcanoes and the deep-sea abyss. I thought perhaps a shadow demon, like the one I expunged from the homeless man I battled weeks ago. I have come to learn the nature of the shadow demons - how they connect themselves to man, leeching off of his body; how they turn a man's compass away from his true north, perverting his duty from the light to the darkness. I have witnessed the fall of great men, because they unwittingly fell prey to the shadow demons. And, even though they can't thank me from their shallow graves, I know they are grateful the demon was removed, much like their heads.

But, in all of my pondering, I was wrong. I never thought a giant. I never thought a machine. I never thought my adversary would look so bright. He manipulates. He lies.

He wears white, like the most proud and ancient and wise of samurai, but he has no honor. Not like I! I shall use my great sword, the Whispering Thunder, to strike this steel giant down. I shall cut him into pieces, and then the townspeople will come to me and buy the pieces and hang them over their doorways to ward off the shadow demons. To warn them that a warrior still strides upon the mountains and the clouds of this earth. The shadow demons will be wary of these homes, for they shall call upon my protection. They shall call upon the great giant and demon slayer, Timothy-san!