7.21.2009

Writing Exercise: Road Trip

road-trip.jpg


Two characters are in a car together, making a road trip from one side of the country to the other. One character knows a secret about the car that the other does not. Write a scene between these two characters in the car.



INT. CAR - DAY

NOAH enters the car, having just filled the car's gas tank. He looks haggard, tired, defeated by...something.

In the passenger seat is KATIE, asleep and with her forehead against the window.

Noah starts the car and begins driving on a highway in the desert.

NOAH
Hey, Katie, you awake? Katie?

No response.

NOAH
Look, I know you're not sleeping. You can't sleep in cars. Even with some Dramamine, you suck at it. So don't try to fool me, right? Katie?

No response.

NOAH
Honey, I know these moves haven't been easy, but this will be the last one, I promise. You hear me? Last. One. I promise.

On the road, a car cuts in from of Noah and starts honking incessantly. Noah slams his fist against the steering wheel in anger.

NOAH
I'm going the speed limit, asshole! God dammit!

Katie still doesn't stir.

NOAH
Kate, what the hell was I supposed to do, huh? I'm not my father. I can't just run out and be the hero. That's not who I am.

Noah tries to collect himself. He runs a hand through his hair, jostled by his angry outburst.

NOAH
This guy - I just don't...I mean, I aced high school. College was a breeze. I even got you, eventually. But this guy - he's a problem I don't know how to solve. My dad always told me, if you study them long enough, you'll always see where they falter. Normally, Dad just picked up one of the thugs and got them to talk. 'Thugs are just bread crumbs to the witch,' he always said. But this guy, there's no bread crumbs. I can't find him when I try, and then he pops out of the blue and, well, you know. And it's not like we can go to the cops.

Noah looks over at Katie, longingly, tears almost in his eyes.

NOAH
I'm tired of moving. I am. I want that house we always imagined. White picket fences are cliche, but, dammit, let's be cliche. I can't even get that collie I always wanted, cause I'm afraid this guy will snap its neck.

Noah reaches a hand over to Katie. She startles, but doesn't look at him.

NOAH
Katie, I can't do this without you. If I lost you, or if I've already lost you, I won't keep running. I'll just give up. I love you, Katie.

Finally, Katie turns to look at him. She moves her lips to talk, but only muffled sounds come out. From between her lips, Noah can see a gag in her mouth. Katie emits a muffled scream.

A black gloved hand reaches up from the back seat and grabs Katie by the neck. In the rearview mirror, Noah can see the gnarled, old face of THE PHANTOM.

THE PHANTOM
Just keep driving, little Skipper. We're almost there.

The car drives deeper into the desert, where there are no other cars around.