9.01.2009

The Disney/Marvel Team-up!

Undoubtedly, you have all heard of Disney's buyout of Marvel Entertainment for the low, low, bargain bin price of a mere 4 billion cool ones, but I thought I'd take the time and address this matter from the point of view of a fan who is not (yet) a fanboy.

(The key difference between "fan" and "fanboy" is in the intensity with which one approaches the material. For instance, when I read Wolverine, I always give a Joe Cool thumbs-up whenever Logan pops his claws, inevitably causing a SNIKT sound effect. This is the sign of a fan.

A fanboy, however, reads Wolverine while wearing a Wolverine costume - at least the mask and hairdo - and yells profanity anytime SNIKT is not drawn in exactly the same style as his first in costume appearance in GIANT-SIZE X-MEN #1. A fanboy also follows up this lovely reading experience by going onto the interwebs of doom, finding a comic book message board, and creating a thread called "WOLVERINE IS SO TEH LAME NOW, I HATE HIM FOR MAKING ME WASTE MY ALLOWANCE!!!1!!")

Disney buying Marvel, in my opinion, is nothing short of a good opportunity. For one, we can now get a Beast/Beast crossover.

Really, though, if you check message boards and poll the opinions of comic book fans, they will tell you this is the apocalypse. Trees are dying, the oceans are drying up, and Mickey is responsible.

Most people in the biz will tell you this is actually a good thing. More outlets for Marvel characters to be seen - more TV shows, more movies, more video games. I don't really see how this is negative. I doubt Disney will decide that "Disneyfy" (the newest buzz word to come out of this whole deal) and make things more kid-friendly than necessary.

But, in the end, why should I, the consumer, be concerned?

Namely, a Silver Surfer/Buzz Lightyear mini-series!


I kid, I kid.

It's an honest reaction to worry about a hobby some of us have enjoyed every Wednesday since we were 7. I get that. Comics have defined our lives. You don't want to see Spider-Man suddenly become 10 years old and fight mean old Dr. Octy-puss. But I don't think we have to worry about that. Really I don't.

The prime example being used lately is Pixar, owned by Disney since 2006. They've been doing just fine, as Disney pretty much let them keep doing what they've been doing. Now, the flip side is that Pixar was doing kid-friendly stuff at the time, and Marvel is currently focused more on an adult market.

Should we worry? I would say no. Disney won't do anything drastic. Marvel has clearly defined its market, and I don't think Disney is looking to change it. Expand it, maybe. But not change.

But, only time will tell, I guess.

Oh, one more!

Snow White and Emma Frost: Disney Divas!


OK, I'm done. I think.