9.18.2009

Writing Exercise: "The Five Dollar Bill"

Again, another exercise I cannot take credit for. I found this one on C.M. Mayo's website of 5 Minute Writing Exercises.

"The Five Dollar Bill"
A five dollar bill changes hands five times in one day. Make a list of where, when, who hands it over, and for what. For example:
~Where: Starbucks, New Jersey Turnpike
~When: 7:30 am;
~Who: Bob, a truck driver;
~What: a cup of coffee (black) and a bean burrito.
If you can complete this exercise in less than five minutes, go back and add more detail to describe the places and the people.


Where: Movie Theater, Manhattan
When: 10:00 p.m.
Who: Chris Rogers
What: 2 tickets to the newest chick flick

Where: 7-11, Queens
When: 12:13 a.m.
Who: Hank Greer (who pocketed the $5)
What: Diapers

Where: First National Bank, Midtown
When: 9:10 a.m.
Who: Mario Oliveri
What: Deposit of Yesterday's Cash

Where: Back Alley, Bronx
When: 7:03 p.m.
Who: Jenna Hiteman (who robbed the bank)
What: "8 Ball"

Where: Joe's Floral
When: 8:30 p.m.
Who: Chris Rogers
What: Dozen red roses

(Note: I took the guideline of "changes hands 5 times in one day" to equal 24 hours. Also, my five dollar bill is most times part of a larger transaction. For example, clearly the deposit at the bank is not just $5.)

This is one I really had fun with when it was all over. I had a little difficulty finishing within the 5 minutes, as I really thought about plot as I made the dollar change hands. Once finished, I was kind of amazed how the plot twisted and actually had a meaning behind it, although somewhat shallow.